10 October 2016

And so it begins...

Someone told me once that having a blog was a terribly self-centered and self-indulgent vehicle for self-promotion. I could understand that if I had something to sell (I do not) or if I was attempting to procure something tangible from readers (I am not) but none of that is seriously in my scope of work for this blog. 


I had a previous blog that described the life and times of my two dogs (Dozer and Coop) but it fell to the wayside, after four years, when my husband passed away, followed in short order by the corgi (Dozer) and then six months later by the cocker spaniel (Cooper). I found it difficult to carry on a blog when my life was taking on the appearance of a very bad country western song! I can laugh now but at the time being 57 years old, suddenly widowed and then losing my two stalwart canines was more than I was prepared to handle. But adversity either makes one stand up to the challenge or fold up in the fetal position and wave a white flag of surrender. After consuming massive quantities of Drumstick ice cream cones as my comfort food I decided to rejoin life and added a new dog to the mix from a rescue organization a few towns over.

One of our windmills
I decided that hospice was possibly right and taking a grief class four months after my husband passed away was no doubt a good idea. Actually it was an excellent idea and it helped incredibly. It also reconnected me to an old friend who had lost her husband while he was across the country and her experience made my travail look like a cakewalk compared to what she went through. I learned grief is not a competition although at times it can appear that way when people try to say well meaning things.

When I least expected it, a co-worker who had lost his wife to breast cancer five years earlier asked me out to his farm for cider pressing and a BBQ. Not having dated in a very long time neither of us was very good at it which in the long run actually made it easier. Always nicer to be inept with someone else equally clumsy in hand-holding and the such. The fact that this surveyor, who farmed when he was not at work, came with a dog named Goose, only sweetened the deal. My dog, Skye, and Goose hit it off, and the rest is now history. We're married, living on the farm, and reveling in the quiet, watching the seasons, the wildlife (including the two who live with us) and looking at our history together.

And that is all this blog is - just my view from walking this earth for 60 years and what our life is like on a small farm in the Pacific Northwest. Along the way I have some friends to introduce you to, both here in the United States, in Canada and the other continents. I occasionally have some original ideas that while not earth-shattering can be creative and fun. So join me as I walk this journey called life.

No comments:

Post a Comment